Heres some good news for anyone looking to shed a few pounds: You dont have to run 10 miles a day to lose weight. In fact, studies suggestrunning 10 miles a day is inferior to shorter sprints and other so-called High-Intensity Interval (HIIT) workouts.
Researchfrom the University of Western Ontario compared short and intense exercise to less-intense endurance cardio. One group of participants performed four to six 30-second all-out sprints, while the other group ran for 30 to 60 minutes at a brisk, but comfortable pace. Participants who sprinted burned more than twice as much body fat as distance runners. This is far from the only study to conclude that weight training and sprinting are more effective than running, especially when it comes totargeting belly fat. HIIT workouts and weight-lifting exercises also allow your body to burn more calories throughout the day. Onestudyfound that you could burn up to 800 more calories throughout the day, after a tough weight-training session.
So instead of focusing on slogging it out with some cardio, try pushing your cardiovascular system with high-intensity activityand building fat-busting muscle with strength-building workouts. Incorporate exercises like pull-ups, push-ups, and squat jumps. That, along with a balanced diet, will ensure that the number on the scale never tips above whats healthy for you. But dont worry about trying to write out your own workout weve got that covered. Heres an easyregimen that you can try at home.
Warm-Up: 6 minutes
- Jumping Jacks
- Heel kicks
- High Knees
- Squat Jacks
- 30 seconds each, repeat x3
- 10 reps, repeat x5
- Planks, 1 minute, 15 second rest, repeat x3
- Supine bicycles, 30 reps x2
- Crunches, 30 reps x2
- Squat-Thrusts, 10 reps x5
- Squat jumps, 10 reps x5
- Box jumps, 10 reps x5
- Bodyweight squats or weighted barbell squats, 10 reps x5
Cardio (yes, you have to do a little bit)
- 20 minutes on treadmill or stair-machine or run outside
- Robert Pattinson's Bat-Suit Has Been Revealed, But Where Are the Ears?
- Mom Wine, Wine Moms, and the Threat of Parenting Under the Influence
- Billie Eilish's James Bond Song For "No Time To Die" Is, Thankfully, Very Good
- Filson's Popeye Collab Features the Best New Men's Hoodie In a Long Time