Skip the fire pit and make this delicious S’mores Dip for your next party! Gooey marshmallows over a layer of chocolate chips baked until melted and toasty. This dip is easy to make vegan and gluten-free and is the ultimate crowd pleaser all year long.
We love having guests over and throwing dinner parties, but it’s sometimes hard to juggle all of the cleaning, cooking and entertaining that goes into it. This easy s’mores dip recipe is the perfect thing for quick, stress-free entertaining. It feeds a large group and is made start to finish in less than 20 minutes.
Trust us, this s’mores dip is going to be the star of the show!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Vegan butter: The first step in this recipe is coating the bottom of the skillet with vegan butter. This will prevent any sticking and add a nice flavor to the chocolate. Our favorite vegan butter sticks to use are Earth Balance or Country Crock Plant Butter, but any vegan butter will work. You can even opt for coconut oil, if preferred.
- Chocolate chips: To find vegan-friendly chocolate chips, look for dark chocolate chips or semi-sweet chocolate chips. They are often dairy-free and accidentally vegan. Our favorite type of chocolate is by the brand Enjoy Life. They’re always vegan-friendly and free of 14 allergens. You can also use mini chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, or even chop up a homemade vegan chocolate bar in a pinch!
- Marshmallows: It may come as a surprise to you that marshmallows aren’t vegetarian. Regular marshmallows contain an ingredient called gelatin which is derived from boiled animal bones, skin, hooves, and more. We like the vegetarian and vegan marshmallows by Dandies or Trader Joe’s. We used large marshmallows, but you can also use mini marshmallows or halved marshmallows as desired.
- Graham crackers: If you are looking for graham crackers without honey, we recommend the brands Kinninkinick Graham Crackers (these are naturally gluten-free!) or Nabisco Original Grahams (the red box!). We know these can be harder to find, so if needed, make your own homemade vegan graham crackers or opt for alternative dippers!
Add-ins and variations
- Add peanut butter. If you’d like to make a fun twist on the classic and make peanut butter s’mores, replace half of the chocolate chips with vegan peanut butter chips or dollop a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter on top of the layer of chocolate before adding the marshmallows.
- Add white chocolate. Replace half of the chocolate chips with white chocolate chips.
- Cut the marshmallows in half. If you only have jumbo marshmallows, cut them in half and stick them cut-side down on top of the chocolate.
How to Make S’mores Dip
- Heat your skillet! Place an 8-inch cast-iron skillet on the middle rack of the oven. Preheat the oven to 450°F with the skillet inside. Once preheated, carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven and place it on the stovetop or on a trivet.
- Coat the skillet with vegan butter. Add 1/2 tablespoon of vegan butter in the skillet and generously spread it around to coat the inside of the skillet.
- Spread chocolate in the bottom. Once the butter is completely melted, carefully sprinkle the vegan chocolate in the bottom of the skillet.
- Top with marshmallows. Arrange the marshmallows over the chocolate chips, covering the skillet entirely.
- Bake until golden. Place the s’mores dip in the preheated oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the tops of the marshmallows are golden brown and the chocolate melts.
- Serve. Remove the s’mores dip from the oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes before serving with graham crackers and your favorite dippers!
This s’mores dip is best served hot from the oven as a dessert. Once it cools, the toasted marshmallows become a lot harder, and the melted chocolate chips become firm again.
We love serving this s’more dip with graham cracker sticks, but it’s also great served with fresh fruit like banana slices, strawberries, apples, and berries, vanilla wafers, vegan sugar cookies, Oreo cookies, and pretzel rods.
This spin on the classic campfire treat is perfect for game nights, bonfires, summer swim parties, or truly any occasion that could use a delicious dip.
Leftover s’mores dip can be refrigerated in an airtight container or tightly covered with plastic wrap for up to 3 days. Reheat leftovers in the oven until warm again or in a microwave-safe dish.
Marshmallows don’t reheat particularly well, but it’s still delicious!
When baked for about 10 minutes, we found that our marshmallows became perfectly golden on top and gooey in the center. If your marshmallows aren’t getting much color, turn on the broiler for the last minute or two. Observe because they will roast quickly this way!
Yes! If needed, use an oven-safe baking dish that is about 8″ or 9″ in diameter. A pie dish would be a great alternative for this s’mores dip.
If you’re hosting a smaller party, adjust this recipe to suit a smaller skillet. Simply spread chocolate into a single layer in the bottom of mini skillets and cover with vegan marshmallows. Bake the s’mores dip for the same amount of time, or until the marshmallows are toasted!
More Party Dip Recipes You May Enjoy:
- Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip – a thick, creamy, spicy crowd favorite.
- Vegan 7-Layer Dip – one of our go-to recipes for game days and summer hosting.
- Easy Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip – a classic made vegan.
- Creamy Caramelized Onion Dip – for true onion lovers. This dip is addicting!
- Easy Vegan Black Bean Dip – the best way to use up leftover black beans.
If you make this s’mores dip let us know what you think in the comments below! + If you post any photos on Instagram, please tag us @sweetsimplevegan and @consciouschris so that we don’t miss it, we love seeing your photos!Print
Nutrition facts label provided by Nutri Fox.
Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that we earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!