I’m always on the hunt for new breakfast recipes and when i spotted a version of this on the Waitrose Instagram page it caught my eye straight away.
I have adapted this to suit my tastes and you can obviously do the same (one of my friends made a Mexican base and included sweetcorn and peppers as well!). Its a one pan wonder so the options are endless!
You can chuck your pan in the oven or pop on a lid and keep on the hob. The choice is yours.
You have to serve this with some good quality bread, the sauce is the best bit and scraping it all up with crusty bread is heaven. Enjoy!
- Half a red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- Chilli flakes
- Olive oil
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- Half a ball of mozzarella (more if you fancy ;) )
- Fresh basil (about a handful chopped and a few leaves to garnish)
- 4 eggs
- Preheat your oven to 180 if using. In an ovenproof pan add about a tbsp of olive oil and saute your onion and garlic for a few mins. Add in your chilli flakes and saute for a minute more.
- Pour in your tinned tomatoes, adding a little water in the tin to get out all the goodness. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 10 mins until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Stir in your chopped basil and torn mozzarella. Make 4 indents with your spoon and crack an egg in each one. I found it easier to do the indents one at a time or the holes just filled up with sauce.
- Pop in the oven for 6-8 minutes depending on your yolk preference – the yolks will be fully set by 8 mins so adjust accordingly. Alternatively pop a lid on the pan and keep on the hob for 5 mins or so. Keeping an eye on your eggs.
- while your eggs are cooking prepare your bread. You can stick it in the oven or toaster but what i like to do is heat a griddle pan to high, spread some olive oil on either side of my slices of bread and griddle on either side. Serve warm with a sprinkle of flaky salt.
- Once your eggs are done. Sprinkle the pan with fresh basil leaves and some cracked black pepper. Eat right from the pan or spoon into a bowl.