The list below is based on post I created called the Personal Learning Network Member Bill of Rights and Responsibilities in 2009. Since many of us are spending more time in front of our computers during stay-at-home orders and thus probably spending more time in socail media, it's a aood time to reflect on our behaviors...
- I have the right not to be social 24/7 - either online or in person.
- I have the right to make time for reflection and the responsibility to do so.
- I have the right to use only the tools that suit my personal communication style.
- I have the right to stop using a tool when it is no longer useful.
- I have the right to not be on the cutting edge all the time or feel I need to always know all there is to know.
- I have the right to choose those with whom I interact in my social network, the responsibility to respect those with whom I don't always agree, and the obligation to disassociate with those who are bad for my mental health.
- I have the right and responsibility to disagree and the responsibility to do it empathetically.
- I have the right and responsibility to understand and control the amount of personal information I share with others on the platform and what I share with the platform itself.
- I have the right and responsibilty to stay informed about current events from vetted news sources such as newspapers, magazines, public radion, and editied books, not just from social networks.
- I have the right and responsibility to not let online activities keep me from my friends, my family, my workplace, or my community.
That's it. No more beating myself up for punching that "Mark All as Read" button in my RSS feed!
Add your rights and responsibilities...