- Once a successful coronavirus vaccine arrives, air carriers may start making it mandatory for international fliers to receive an immunization for COVID-19 before they can travel to their destination.
- That's already set to be the case at Qantas, the Australian airline, whose CEO has said it will eventually be mandatory for international travelers on Qantas to first prove they've received a coronavirus vaccine.
- Moreover, the Qantas CEO thinks other airlines will follow suit in mandating coronavirus vaccinations.
Not everyone is exactly using conditional language to talk about what happens after the coronavirus vaccine and the first Americans (and citizens of other countries) begin to receive their immunizations.
For example, the federal official who heads up the government's coronavirus vaccine development program has talked about the percentage of Americans that would be needed to get vaccinated for COVID-19 in order for the US to reach herd immunity and an end to the pandemic. Referring specifically to early results that show Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine candidate having a 95% efficacy rate, Operation Warp Speed head Dr. Moncef Slaoui told CNN over the weekend: "Normally, with the level of efficacy we have, 95%, 70% or so of the population being immunized would allow for true herd immunity to take place." Again, with his language suggestion that 70% would be great to achieve but is not necessarily a given. Meanwhile, the private sector -- including executives like Qantas CEO Alan Joyce -- is talking about all this much differently.
Today's Best Deal
Today's Top Deals
- Amazon just announced its massive Cyber Monday 2020 sale – here are all the best deals
- Don’t pay $250 per box of 3M N95 masks when these work better for $2 each
- AirPods Pro and AirPods 2 start at $119 in Amazon’s big Black Friday sale
Trending Right Now:
- Dr. Fauci says these are the places you’re most likely to catch COVID-19
- Let’s talk about where things stand on a second round of $1,200 stimulus checks
- These 4 states aren’t locking down despite massive surges in COVID infections
Mandatory COVID-19 vaccines are coming for international travelers originally appeared on BGR.com on Mon, 23 Nov 2020 at 17:44:08 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.