This creamy and fruity Green and Gold Ambrosia Salad puts a fun and festive St. Patrick's Day twist on a classic side dish!
THE PERFECT ST. PATRICK'S DAY SIDE DISH
The Green and Gold Ambrosia Salad is a sweet and creamy combination of fruits, marshmallows, and whipping cream. It's a delightful way to bring some tropical flavors to your table! This cool, easy-to-make salad takes just minutes to prepare and will add a twist of color and flavor to any meal. It uses fresh citrus juices as the base with mandarin oranges, pineapple chunks, marshmallows and juicy green grapes added in. This fun twist on the classic ambrosia salad makes it perfect for any St. Patrick's Day celebrations!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
If you overwhip the whipped cream it may start to curdle. Be sure to only whip just until it starts to stiffen.
You can tailor this recipe to suit your tastes. Use as much or as little as you prefer.
Yes. If you don't want to make whipped cream from scratch, you can substitute with a tub of Cool Whip whipped topping.
If you don't drain your fruit well enough, the whipped topping will become runny and soupy.
You bet! The ambrosia salad ingredients used in this specific recipe were chosen to bring the gold and green presentation for a St. Patrick's Day themed dessert. But, you can trade them out for other fruit choices. Try some star fruit, banana, peaches or green apples instead. You can also add nuts or raisins for more texture.
Leftovers must be refrigerated due to the whipped topping and fruit. This kind of dish is best served the day you make it. If you need to store it, it needs to be covered and kept in the fridge. The longer you store it, the more the fruits will release their juices, causing it to get soupy.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR THE FULL RECIPE)
- heavy whipping cream
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
- mini marshmallows
- sliced pears
- mandarin oranges
- green grapes
- honeydew melon
- pineapple tidbits
HOW TO MAKE MAKE GREEN AND GOLD AMBROSIA SALAD
In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment or using a handheld electric mixer, whip the cold heavy whipping cream with the powdered sugar and vanilla extract on high speed. If using a stand mixer, you’ll need to scrape the edges of the bowl once or twice while mixing. Whip until stiff peaks form (about 2-3 minutes).
In a separate large bowl, add the mini marshmallows and fruit.
Then gently stir in the whipped cream.
Mix together gently until all ingredients are coated in the whipped cream.
Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving. Top with additional fruit pieces, if desired.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
- St. Patrick's Day Pancakes
- Leprechaun Hats
- St. Patrick's Day Oreo Bark (+Video)
- Homemade Fruit Pizza
Green and Gold Ambrosia Salad
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 14.5-ounce can sliced pears, drained and chopped into small pieces
- 1 10.5-ounce can mandarin oranges, drained well
- 2 kiwis peeled, sliced, and quartered
- 1 cup green grapes cut in half
- 1 cup honeydew cut into small cubes
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits drained well
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment or using a handheld electric mixer, whip the heavy whipping cream with the powdered sugar and vanilla on high speed.
- If using a stand mixer, you’ll need to scrape the edges of the bowl once or twice while mixing. Whip until stiff peaks form (about 2-3 minutes).
- In a separate large bowl, add the marshmallows and fruit. Then stir in the whipped cream. Mix together gently until all ingredients are coated in the whipped cream.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving. Top with additional fruit pieces, if desired.
- Avoid overbeating the whipped cream or it'll curdle.
- Feel free to adjust the amount of fruit or whipped cream you add to this recipe.
- You can try other orange or green fruits, like green apples, star fruit, peaches, or bananas.
- You can use Cool Whip instead of whipped cream if desired.
- Be sure to drain your fruit really well so you don't end up with a soupy mix.