Hands down, this Best Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix Recipe beats the taste of any store-bought packaged seasoning. With its robust and fresh taste, you’ll be flavoring more than tacos. Use it to spice up fajitas, Chili, vegetables, dips, popcorn, and more.
Please note that there are Affiliate Links in the content of Louisiana Woman Blog, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I have used these products that are highlighted below and recommend them for your convenience. Thank you!
What’s in this taco seasoning, you ask?
There’s lots of spicy taste in just the right proportions to compliment your food without overpowering it. I’ve done a taste test comparing this homemade version with a packaged mix, and the homemade blend has a much fresher flavor than the other.
Here’s a lowdown on the ingredients with interesting facts you may not know:
- Chili Powder – is made from various dried pulverized chilis that add pungent flavor to Mexican, American (including Tex-Mex), Korean, and Indian cuisines.
- Garlic Granules – is dehydrated garlic ground into granules like salt, unlike garlic powder that is ground finer and more potent than the granules.
- Salt – you are the salt of the earth; If salt loses its savor, it cannot be made salty again and must be thrown out; don’t lose what makes life tasteful.
- Dried Oregano – has an earthy, warm taste that’s slightly bitter; some types can be strong enough to numb the tongue.
- Ground Cumin – is an aromatic herb known to add flavor worldwide in stews, soups, chili, gravy, cheese, pickles, and pastries. Pastries? Who knew?
- Onion Powder – 1 tablespoon is equal to 1/2 cup chopped fresh onion, with no watery eyes.
- Dried Cilantro – also known as coriander leaves or Chinese Parsley, has a spicy, lemon-lime taste.
- Black Pepper – has more potency served in a shaker on the dinner table than cooked in a recipe where it loses its strength.
Wow! With all that, it’s no wonder this mix packs such a powerful punch of flavor.
It’s so easy to make your own seasoning mix for tacos. All you do is measure the ingredients into a bowl, stir to incorporate the spices together, and store them in an airtight container. I like to prepare mine in a jar, add the ingredients, close the lid, shake, and store it in my spice cabinet for later.
It’s fun to make an extra batch to share with others, too.
I can’t say that making your own seasoning instead of purchasing a pre-packaged brand will save you money because I’ve not calculated that yet. But I can say that you’ll use less than what those packaged blends call for. Also, making my own batch from scratch, I know exactly what I’m adding to my food.
When making tacos, measure 2 tablespoons per pound of browned ground meat. Then add a third of a cup of water and let that simmer for a few minutes before serving. Everyone seems to be happy with that amount of seasoning in their tacos at our house. You can adjust the seasoning to suit your own fancy.
It’s Not Just For Tacos
There is so much flavor in this Best Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix Recipe that you’ll want to spread the love to other dishes. One of my favorite uses of this seasoning, besides tacos, is in my 3-Bean Sweet Heat Chili. This recipe is delicious with an added dash of bottled chocolate sauce that tames down the tartness from the tomatoes. You have to try it to experience it!Print
A fresh homemade taco seasoning mix with more robust flavor. Use it to spice up your tacos and more!
1 cup chili powder
3 tablespoons garlic granules
3 tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons dried oregano leaves
3 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 tablespoon dried cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon black pepper
Add all ingredients together in a medium bowl and stir to mix well.
Store in an airtight container.
Or, add all ingredients to a pint jar, screw on a lid and shake jar repeatedly to mix well before using.
Add 2 tablespoons of mix to 1 pound of ground beef or turkey for taco meat; then add 1/3 cup of water and cook until liquid is evaporated before serving.
Try this seasoning mix in other dishes such as fajita meat, soups, Chilis, vegetables, burgers, dips, casserole recipes, and sprinkled on freshly popped popcorn.
- Category: Miscellaneous
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: taco seasoning, homemade taco seasoning, taco seasoning mix, taco seasoning mix recipe
Here are a few more dishes you can use this Best Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix Recipe with:
They call for 1 package or 1/4 cup pre-packaged taco seasoning mix, but I suggest you start with 2 tablespoons of my homemade mix, then add more if needed.
Have fun making your own creations!
You know I love hearing from you! Please sign up for emails from me so we can keep in touch. If you have any questions or comments, leave them in the comments below. Thank you and have a nice day!
“A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.”John A. Shedd
The post Best Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix Recipe appeared first on .