Division is one of the most challenging math topics to teach in the early years. Our little learners need a firm understanding of numbers as well as equality, fair shares and repeated subtraction. Our printable math center will help you provide an engaging activity for students to explore division in a hands-on way and make the leap over to recording it formally.
Your students will 'tip' some counters from a little container onto their turtle and divide them equally! With their hands, they will divide the counters out onto the spaces on their turtle.
We have provided turtles for 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 equal groups on the turtle shell. Students will record their division action on the number sentence with a dry erase marker - or the worksheet provided.
Other ways to use our turtle division cards:
- place an un-laminated page into a plastic sleeve and use with a dry-erase marker to draw dots
- project a card up onto your electronic board and complete the task as a whole class as a math warm-up
- use with play dough and ask students to make little balls to distribute on the shell - incorporating fine motor skills too
This packet includes:
- activity mats (print and laminate)
- recording worksheet
- game instructions
- cover page ( to organize your resources and equipment)